Sunday, July 13, 2014

Chamberlain, SD to Mitchell, SD 71 miles

"Like a band of gypsies we head down the highway."---Willie Nelson

Ahhhh.... merciful, merciful day.

The last two days have been so hard. The magnitude of difficulty goes up very quickly when headwinds and heat are ramped up. If today had been like the preceding two days, I'm not sure I could have powered through. We had a steep climb out of Chamberlain. As we rode, I took an inventory of everywhere that hurt. I'll spare you the gory details, but I had to search for the least uncomfortable spot to sit.

But then! Our old friend Mr. Tail Wind reappeared. Hello, buddy. I've missed you. Between winds at our back, a mild temperature this morning, and smooth pavement (something, oh so easily taken for granted) it was a welcome reprieve from our suffer-fest. And so pleasant.

One of our buddies Daniel Goldschmidt commented, "This is the kind of day I paid for." Which is funny because yesterday I complained (unbeknownst to him) "These are the days they don't mention in the brochure."

I think we were all revitalized today. A lot of friendly banter along the way. Yesterday it was just keep your head down and grind it out.

Enjoying the oh-so-pleasant morning.


My point of view 4-8 hours per day.


Mitchell, South Dakota features "The World's Only Corn Palace."
Each year the outside is stripped and decorated with
corn and grains. Roughly 275,000 ears of corn
are sawed in half lengthwise and nailed to the building.
It's a giant mosaic made of corn.
The outside is being renovated so we'll have to come
back to see it's full glory.


One of the outer walls of the Corn Palace.


Inside the Corn Palace.
Corn-on-the-cob mosaic of Mt. Rushmore.

Corn Cob Christmas Tree

Santa as a Corn Cob Ornament


Frosty the Snowman Corn Cob Ornament


Do you think this is too corny?
Ha ha. That one was just too easy.


Next up: 73 miles to Sioux Falls.



1 comment:

  1. Wait where is the corn as high as an elephants eye! And you're not even to Iowa yet! I like this day! XOXO Alice

    ReplyDelete